What do teachers need to know before teaching students to read? Learning to speak is very different from learning to read. Reading is not a natural process. In the fast-paced, 15-minute video "Decoding English," we will see that written English is a code. Cracking the code or teaching systematic phonics is imperative for many children to learn to read. What do we mean when we say "structure of the language"? We will talk about the sounds and letters, 6 different syllable types, and syllable division for long words. Having basic knowledge of the structure of English language enables teachers to be effective reading instructors.
Jump to a specific segment of "Decoding English"
- What is skilled reading? 0:16-1:45
- What is decoding? 1:46-4:04
- Sounds in the English Language 4:05-5:40
- Six Syllable Types 5:41-10:02
- Reading Longer Words 10:03-10:58
- Syllable Division 10:59-13:48
- What makes words regular for reading? 13:49-14:09
- What makes words irregular for reading? 14:10-14:56